I have a serious problem with the charge call in
the NBA. I believe that the charge call needs a serious renovation of its definition, and it needs to be officiated much better. Notice how I haven't been calling it an offensive foul. An
offensive foul and a charge have the same signal from the referee, but in my
opinion, they are two completely different things.
The charge call in the
NBA is becoming a nuisance. When a
player slides in to take one in the chest at the last second, it forces the
referee to make a quick judgment that is unneeded. Many times, the offensive player has to worry
about someone sliding in underneath their legs while they go to the rim. The play is simply not safe. When the ball is in the post, and an
offensive player is backing down his defender, the defender is able to flop
when the offensive player is bigger than he is.
This is only because the charge call is so prevalent in today’s
NBA. When this happens, the referee
either needs to make no call or a new protocol needs to be introduced for the
incident. I understand that the referee
will still have to make a judgment in this situation, but it will discourage
the defender from flopping. With less
defenders flopping, the only time a player should be knocked down on the
back-down attempt is when he is actually forced to the floor.
In
my next blog post, I will be blogging about the offensive foul as it should be
called and enforced.
No comments:
Post a Comment